Videos: Schematic Simulation
The video on this page shows a schematic simulation of the hot extrusion process. The process includes the following steps:
- The ram and container are raised to allow access to the die holder.
- The die is installed in place.
- The container is now lowered to mate with the die.
- The ram is retracted to allow the hot billet to be inserted.
- The hot billet is removed from the furnace and lowered into the container.
- The ram is again centered and lowered into the container.
- The extrusion process begins when the ram contacts the billet and begins to force the hot metal through the die, forming a tube.
- When the ram reaches the bottom of the stroke, the tube is ejected and the ram retracts.
- The container is raised once again and the die is removed, along with the “butt”.
- The “butt” is returned for recycling and the press is ready for another extrusion.